What emotion do you feel right now?
Emotions are complex mental and physical reactions. They can be triggered by both external and internal factors. They can affect our thoughts, behavior, and physical state.
Emotional Intelligence: The ability to recognize, understand and manage one's own emotions, as well as the emotions of others. Affect: A combination of emotions, thoughts, and behaviors that characterize a person's response in a particular situation. Mood: A relatively long-lasting emotional state that can affect a person's outlook and behavior.
Humans can experience up to 27 different identifiable emotions. The emotion of fear can be divided into 4 distinct categories. The emotion of disgust has been linked to the development of moral behavior.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: What strategies can you use to help manage and express your emotions in a healthy way?
How do you think expressing emotions can affect your relationships with others?
Work together in pairs: What are some of the benefits and drawbacks of expressing emotion in a professional setting?
Brain break: Draw a silly monster with six eyes, three legs and four arms!
What part of the brain is responsible for regulating emotions?
Which of the following is not a basic human emotion?
What are mirror neurons?
- Brain cells that mimic the actions and feelings we observe in others
- Parts of the brain that control our physical movements
- Chemical messengers in our brain that regulate emotions
What is emotional intelligence (EI)?
- The ability to perform complex mathematical operations quickly and accurately
- The ability to understand and manage one's own emotions, as well as those of others
- The ability to speak multiple languages fluently
Which hormone is often referred to as the 'cuddle hormone' because it promotes social bonding?