Start by researching job opportunities online and in the community. Develop a job search strategy, such as creating a resume and cover letter. Understand the job application process and be prepared for interviews.
Job Searching for 9th Graders
Networking: Establishing connections with other professionals who can provide advice and resources to help you find a job. Resume: A document that includes your educational background, work experience, and other achievements and qualifications. Cover Letter: A formal letter that is sent with a resume and explains why you are qualified for the position you are applying for.
Many job applications require you to submit a cover letter even if it is not explicitly requested. Job interviews can be done over the phone, through video conferencing, or in-person. Employers sometimes post job openings online that never actually exist as a way to get a sense of the job market.
Did you know?
What factors should you consider when looking for a job?
What methods can you use to find a job?
How prepared do you feel to apply for a job?
What strategies can you use to prepare for an interview?
Brain break: Draw a monster made of spaghetti drinking a milkshake
Question: You have been looking for a job for a few months, but have not had much luck. How might you go about increasing your chances of finding a job? Clues: • Make sure your resume is up to date and tailored to the job you are applying for. • Network with people in your field who can provide you with job leads. • Utilize job search engines to find job postings. In pairs: Select and solve one of the tasks: A. Brainstorm a list of strategies and tactics to increase your chances of finding a job. B. Create a visual representation of your job search strategy.
What is the first step in the job search process?
- Researching companies
- Preparing your resume and cover letter
- Networking with professionals
What is a common online platform for job searching?
What is an informational interview?
- A meeting with a potential employer to discuss a specific job opening
- A conversation with someone in your desired field to learn more about their career
- An interview that takes place outside of normal business hours
What should you do after submitting your resume online?
- Follow up with the company after one week via email or phone call.
- Wait for them to contact you, they will get back to you eventually.
- Apply for more jobs online and hope for the best.
How can networking be beneficial during a job search?
- It can lead to referrals and recommendations from people in your professional network.
- It's not really helpful, it's better just to focus on applying online.
- It helps fill gaps in your resume.
Work together in pairs: What strategies have you learned about job searching that you can use to find a job in the future?