What is the definition of passive voice?
Passive Voice: A sentence structure in which the subject of the sentence is acted upon by the verb, rather than performing the action of the verb. Agent: The person or thing that performs the action in a passive voice sentence. Active Voice: A sentence structure in which the subject of the sentence performs the action of the verb.
Can you identify the passive voice in the following sentence: "The cake was baked by Mary."?
Brain break: Draw a cupcake with superhero powers, fighting a bunch of broccolis
What is the passive voice?
- When there is no subject in a sentence
- When the subject of a sentence receives the action
- When the subject of a sentence performs the action
Which of these sentences is in passive voice?
- The cake was baked by my mom.
- My mom and I are baking cakes.
- I baked a cake for my mom.
What is the structure for creating passive voice?
- Adjective + noun
- Subject + verb + object
- Object + be verb + past participle
In which situation would you use passive voice?
- To make writing more dynamic and interesting
- To put emphasis on what happened, rather than who did it
- To make sentences shorter
Which one below is an example of passive voice?
- Reading books helps improve vocabulary.
- I read the book myself.
- The book was read by me.