In a few words, how has social media affected your life?
Social media can have positive effects, including connecting people and increasing self-expression. It can also have negative effects, such as cyberbullying, decreased productivity, and addiction. It's important to understand how to use social media in a healthy, responsible way.
The Effects of Social Media
Influencer: A person who has the power to influence potential buyers of a product or service by promoting or recommending the items on social media. Filtering: The process of hiding or removing content from view or from search results on social media platforms. Echo Chamber: A situation in which information, ideas, or beliefs are amplified or reinforced by communication and repetition inside a closed system.
The average person spends about two hours per day on social media. A 2018 Pew Research Center survey of nearly 750 13- to 17-year-olds found that 45% are online almost constantly and 97% use a social media platform, such as YouTube, Facebook, Instagram or Snapchat. Excessive social media use can lead to depression, anxiety, and addiction. Research has found that the more time someone spends on social media, the less satisfied they are with life.
Did you know?
A 2019 study of more than 6,500 12- to 15-year-olds in the U.S. found that those who spent more than three hours a day using social media might be at heightened risk for mental health problems. Some 45% of girls say they feel overwhelmed because of all the drama on social media, compared with 32% of boys. Girls are also more likely than boys to say social media has made them feel like their friends are leaving them out of things (37% vs. 24%) or worse about their own lives (28% vs. 18%).
Did you know?
What are the positive effects of social media?
What are the negative effects of social media?
What changes would you make to improve the effects of social media?
How does social media affect self-esteem?
- It can negatively impact self-esteem by creating unrealistic expectations
- It can positively impact self-esteem by providing a platform for self-expression
- It has no effect on self-esteem
How does excessive use of social media affect sleep patterns?
- Excessive use of social media can disrupt sleep patterns due to the blue light emitted from screens
- Social Media has no effect on sleep pattern
- Excessive use of Social Media tends to improve sleep pattern
What is FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) and how does it relate to the effects of Social Media?
- FOMO is a phenomenon where people feel anxious about missing out on something that others are doing, which can be exacerbated by seeing other people's activities on social media.
- FOMO is an acronym for 'Finding Opportunities through Meaningful Openings', which relates to networking opportunities through LinkedIn.
- FOMO stands for 'Feeling Overwhelmed with Multiple Obligations', which relates to time management skills.