Name three adjectives to describe your favorite hobby?
Start with a list of ideas or topics related to your essay. Create a mind-map or a spider diagram to explore the connections between ideas. Write down any words that come to your mind when thinking about your topic.
Brainstorming an Essay
brainstorming: a method of generating ideas or solutions by gathering a group of people together and discussing a problem free-writing: writing for a set period of time without stopping, focusing on any ideas that come to mind without judgement mind-mapping: the process of creating a visual representation of a subject or topic by drawing a diagram with circles, lines, and words
When brainstorming for an essay, try using the 'cluster' technique. This involves writing down your topic in the middle of a piece of paper and then branching out with connected ideas. Brainstorming can be done with a group of people. This is often referred to as 'brainwriting' and is a great way to come up with creative ideas and solutions. The 'free writing' technique is an effective way to brainstorm for an essay. This involves writing non-stop for a certain period of time without worrying about grammar or spelling.
Did you know?
What do you think are the best ways to brainstorm for an essay?
How can brainstorming help you when writing an essay?
What strategies have you used in the past to generate ideas for an essay?
How can you use the brainstorming process to make your essay more organized and effective?
Brain break: Draw a goofy monster with five eyes, six tails, and wearing a big polka-dot bow tie.
Question: What are some creative ways to brainstorm for an essay? Clues: • Look for inspiration in your everyday life and what you observe around you. • Ask yourself probing questions to explore different angles of the topic. • Connect the topic to your own experiences and interests. In pairs: Select and solve one of the tasks: A. Work in pairs and draw a mind map of ideas for your essay. B. Create a list of questions that can help you think of new ideas.
What is mind mapping?
- A visual brainstorming technique
- Looking up synonyms in a thesaurus
- Interviewing experts for ideas
What is freewriting?
- A technique of organizing ideas into categories
- Creating a list of potential essay topics
- A method of writing without stopping for a set time
What is reverse outlining?
- Brainstorming with friends to generate ideas
- Organizing an essay after it has been written
- Researching the topic to gather more information
What does PQRST stand for when used as part of brainstorming?
- Purpose, Questions, Research, Structure and Tone
- Preview, Question, Read, Summary, Test
- Problem, Questions, Responses/Reactions , Solutions , Take-aways
What is group brainstorming?
- Brainstorming together with others to generate ideas
- Creating an outline before writing an essay
- Editing and proofreading an essay before submission
Work together in pairs: What are some active and creative ways to brainstorm for an essay?