What three words come to mind when you think of online friendships?
What things would you prefer to do through an app versus in person? Why?
Work together in pairs: What are some of the benefits of having online friendships?
Brain break: Draw a tall tower made of cupcakes with a slide circling the tower.
What is the definition of an online friendship?
- A relationship formed through social media or other online platforms where people interact and communicate virtually
- A relationship formed through face-to-face interaction only
- A relationship formed through phone calls and text messages only
What are some benefits of having online friendships?
- Access to a wider network of people with similar interests, opportunity to learn about different cultures, convenience in communicating from anywhere at any time
- None of the above
How can someone maintain a healthy online friendship?
- By setting boundaries and respecting each other's privacy, being honest and open in communication, keeping conversations positive and respectful
- By not communicating regularly so that neither party feels burdened
What are some potential risks associated with online friendships?
- Exposure to cyberbullying or harassment, difficulty in verifying the identities of those you interact with, potential for miscommunication due to lack of nonverbal cues
- There are no risks associated with online friendships
How can someone stay safe while forming an online friendship?
- By being cautious about sharing personal information such as full name, address or phone number; avoiding meeting up alone with someone you have never met before; trusting your instincts if something doesn't feel right
- By sharing as much personal information as possible so that the other person feels comfortable enough to do so too