What does it mean to be a good digital citizen?
Understand how to be responsible and respectful online. Learn about avoiding cyberbullying and protecting your information. Know how to be a good digital citizen in the online world.
Netiquette: Rules for being polite and respectful when communicating online. Digital Footprint: Tracks the activity and content a user leaves behind on the internet. Online Safety: Keeping yourself and your personal information safe when using the internet.
The term 'Digital Citizenship' was first coined in 2008 by Dr. Mike Ribble. In the EU, digital citizenship is also referred to as 'e-citizenship'. In 2018, the United Nations launched the 'Youth for Digital Citizenship' initiative, which encourages young people to actively engage in digital citizenship.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: What is one way you can be a responsible digital citizen and protect yourself and your personal information online?
What are some of the potential consequences of not being a responsible digital citizen?
Work together in pairs: What are two tips for being a responsible digital citizen?
Brain break: Draw a three-headed monster with each head having a different silly expression on its face.
What is digital citizenship?
- The responsible use of technology to engage with the world around us
- The ability to code and program software applications
- The study of digital devices and their impact on society
Which of the following is an example of good digital citizenship?
- Being respectful in online communications
- Sharing personal information with strangers online
- Spreading rumors or false information online
What are some common risks associated with being a poor digital citizen?
- Cyberbullying, identity theft, addiction to technology
- Physical health problems, social isolation, financial loss
- None of the above
What are some ways to be a good digital citizen?
- Protecting personal information, treating others with kindness and respect online, citing sources when sharing information
- Posting negative comments on social media about people we disagree with , spreading rumors or false news stories , spending too much time in front of screens
Why is it important for individuals to practice good digital citizenship?
- To ensure safety and privacy online, protect data from cyber criminals and maintain healthy relationships both offline and on
- To compete effectively in the global market ,to get more followers on social media platforms.
- To promote political opinions that aligns with our beliefs.