In a few words, how important is cybersecurity on your cell phone?
Make sure to use a strong password for your phone and apps. Enable two-factor authentication for extra security. Be aware of potential scams when downloading apps.
Cybersecurity and Your Cell Phone
Encryption – The process of encoding data or information so that it can be read only by authorized users. Data Breach – An incident in which sensitive, protected or confidential data has potentially been viewed, stolen, or used by an individual unauthorized to do so. Phishing – A type of cyber attack that uses fake emails, text messages, or websites to try to get your personal information, like your username, password, or credit card information.
The average cell phone user unlocks their device 39 times a day, leading to increased risk of malware and other cyber threats. Your cell phone can be infected with malware even when you don't download any new applications. You can enable two-factor authentication on your cell phone, which adds an extra layer of security and makes it more difficult for hackers to gain access to your device.
Did you know?
How can you protect your cell phone from cyber security threats?
What types of cyber security threats can your cell phone be vulnerable to?
What steps have you taken to secure your cell phone from cyber security threats?
What could you do differently to better protect your cell phone from cyber security threats?
Question: How can you ensure your cell phone is secure from cyber threats? Clues: • Make sure your passwords are unique and difficult to guess. • Be careful of suspicious emails or links from unknown sources. • Make sure to update your phone's software regularly. In pairs: Select and solve one of the tasks: A. Create a visual representation of a secure cell phone. B. Develop an action plan to protect your phone from cyber threats.
What is the main purpose of a screen lock on a cell phone?
- To prevent unauthorized access to your device
- To make the screen look nicer
- To improve battery life
What is malware?
- Malicious software designed to harm your device or steal information
- A type of hardware used in cell phones
- A new operating system for Android devices
What is two-factor authentication?
- A security measure that requires you to provide two forms of identification before accessing an account
- The practice of using strong passwords
- The process of installing anti-virus software
What are some common signs that your phone may have been hacked?
- Your phone makes too much noise
- You receive too many text messages
- Unusual battery drain, slow performance, and unfamiliar apps on your device
Why should you avoid connecting to unsecured public Wi-Fi networks?
- Because they might decrease the speed of internet connection
- Because they can be easily intercepted by hackers and may compromise sensitive information like passwords and credit card numbers.
- Because it's illegal
Work together in pairs: What steps can you take to protect your cell phone from cyber-attacks?