In a few words, name one danger of using Social Media?
Social media can expose you to cyberbullying, predators, and inappropriate content. Posting things online can be permanent and lead to future problems with college, jobs, and relationships. It's easy to waste a lot of time on social media and neglect other important activities.
The Dangers of Social Media
Cyberbullying: The use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature. Impostor Syndrome: The feeling of believing that you can’t measure up to the expectations of others despite evidence of your success. Screen Time: The amount of time spent looking at a computer, television, or other electronic device.
Social media can negatively affect your mental health. Studies have shown that the more time a person spends on social media, the more likely they are to experience symptoms of depression. Social media can increase feelings of loneliness, as many users tend to compare their real life to the seemingly perfect lives that others present on social media. You can be tracked by companies and marketers through the data that you give away when you use social media. They use this data to target ads and track your online behaviour.
Did you know?
What are three ways you can stay safe while using social media?
What are some positive ways that you can use social media to help you stay safe online?
Brain break: Draw a monkey dancing at a party with balloons in hand.
What is cyberbullying?
- The use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature.
- The use of social media to promote kindness and positivity.
- An online platform where people can share their thoughts.
How can overuse of social media affect mental health?
- It can lead to depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, and addiction.
- It has no effect on mental health.
- It can improve mental health.
Why should we be careful about the information we share on social media?
- Because it could be used by hackers for identity theft or other malicious purposes.
- Because sharing personal information makes us popular on social media.
- Because it is important to show off our lifestyle and achievements.
What are some dangers associated with meeting someone you met online in person?
- They may not be who they say they are and could harm you physically or emotionally.
- It's a fun way to make new friends with similar interests.
- There are no risks associated with meeting people online.
Why is it important to take breaks from social media?
- To maintain good mental health and prevent addiction
- So that others don't get jealous of us
- Because we need time away from screens