In one word, what is the most important benefit of tourism?
Traveling and visiting different places is known as tourism. Tourists are people who travel to different places for leisure or business. Tourism is an important industry in many countries as it contributes to their economy.
Tourism and Tourists
Tourism: The practice of traveling for recreational, leisure or business purposes. Tourists: People who travel to and stay in places outside their usual environment for more than 24 hours and not more than one consecutive year for leisure, business and other purposes. Travelers: People who travel from one place to another, either for work, leisure or other purposes.
The average tourist spends more money on souvenirs than on food. The city of Macau, China is the world’s largest tourist destination, with more than 30 million visitors in 2018. The world’s most visited monument is the Great Wall of China with over 10 million visitors per year.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: What are some potential challenges that tourists may face when travelling to a new destination?
How does tourism impact local economies and communities in popular tourist destinations?
Work together in pairs: What are the potential positive and negative impacts of tourism on local communities?
Brain break: Draw a smiling banana wearing hand-drawn sneakers and a top hat
What is the largest tourist destination in the world?
- United States
What is ecotourism?
- A type of tourism focused on extreme sports and adventure activities
- Responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the welfare of local people
- Traveling to historical sites and landmarks
Which country attracts the most international tourists annually?
- United States
What is a 'staycation'?
- A vacation involving staying in luxurious hotels or resorts
- A vacation focused on exploring national parks and nature reserves
- A vacation spent at home or nearby, rather than traveling to a distant location
Which city is known as 'The City That Never Sleeps' and attracts millions of tourists each year?
- New York City