In a few words, what do you understand by 'Media and Information Literacy'?
Understand the power of media and information Learn strategies to access, analyze, and evaluate media and information Develop skills to create and communicate media and information
Introduction to Media and Information Literacy
Media Literacy: The ability to access, analyze, evaluate, and create media in a variety of forms. Information Literacy: The ability to recognize when information is needed and how to locate, evaluate, and use it effectively. Digital Literacy: The ability to use technology to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information.
The first known online encyclopedia was called the "Encyclopaedia of All Knowledge" created in 1710. In 2014, the New York Times reported that it had more digital subscribers than print subscribers for the first time in its history. In 2018, the world’s population spent an average of 3 hours and 15 minutes on social networking sites per day.
What are the core skills of media and information literacy and how can you apply them to your life?
Work together in pairs: What new information did you learn about media and information literacy in our previous discussion?
What is Media and Information Literacy?
- A set of skills used to evaluate and create media
- A set of skills used to evaluate and access information
- A set of skills used to program and create media
- A set of skills used to program and access information
What is a primary source?
- An article written by a historian
- A book written by a journalist
- An article written by someone who experienced the event
- A book written by someone who experienced the event
What is the purpose of Media and Information Literacy?
- To promote critical thinking about media and information
- To promote critical thinking about technology
- To promote the use of technology for media and information
- To promote the use of media and information for technology
What is an example of a reliable source?
- A blog written by an expert in the field
- An article written by an unknown author
- A book written by a historian
- An article written by a journalist