Name one natural disaster that can occur in Australia?
Australia is prone to many natural hazards, such as bushfires, cyclones, floods and earthquakes. It is important to be aware of the risks posed by these natural disasters, and to know what to do if one strikes. Australia has a number of measures in place to help prepare for and respond to natural disasters.
Natural Hazards and Disasters in Australia
Natural Hazard: A naturally occurring event with the potential to cause harm or damage to people, property, or the environment. Disaster: An event that causes widespread destruction, damage, and distress. Emergency Management: The development and implementation of plans, procedures, and protocols to mitigate the potential impacts of natural hazards and disasters.
What are the different natural hazards and disasters that occur in Australia?
What are the specific steps that a community can take to prepare, manage, and respond to a natural hazard or disaster?
What could you put in emergency kits to prepare for a natural hazard or disaster?
How can emergency kits help in preparing for a natural hazard or disaster?
What is the the first phase a community enters to react to a disaster?
What is the the second phase a community enters to react to a disaster?
What is the the third phase a community enters to react to a disaster?
Brain break: Draw a cheerful sun wearing a superhero cape, Navigating through obstacles while grabbing a slice of pizza.
What is a bushfire?
- A fire that burns out of control in the bush
- A kind of plant found only in Australia
- A type of barbecue
What is a cyclone?
- A powerful storm with strong winds and heavy rain
- An extinct species of bird
- An underground cave system
What is a flood?
- When water covers land that is usually dry
- When it doesn't rain for a long time
- A type of dessert
What is an earthquake?
- The sound made by thunder during a storm
- Shaking or trembling on the surface of the earth caused by movement deep within the earth's crust
- The name given to tornadoes in Australia
What should you do if there's an emergency like a natural disaster?
- Run outside and see what's happening.
- Follow instructions from emergency services and stay safe.
- Take photos and videos to post on social media.