Describe a favorite character in a story in just one word.
"Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, descriptive details, and clear event sequences."
Narrative writing tells a story with a sequence of events. It includes characters, setting, and a plot. It has a beginning, middle, and end.
Plot: The sequence of events that make up a story and the order in which they occur. Character: A person, animal, or thing that plays an important role in a story. Setting: The physical and social environment in which a story takes place.
Narrative writing does not always have to be about personal experiences. It can also be about imaginary events or situations. Narrative writing can provide a great way to help 4th grade students practice summarizing, sequencing, and organizing their thoughts. Narrative writing can also be done using different perspectives, such as a first-person or third-person point of view.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: What is one way you can use descriptive details to make a narrative more interesting?
Work together in pairs: Q: What is one way to make your narrative more interesting?
Brain break: Sure!
Draw a giraffe dressed up in a polka dot lake suit joyfully splashing in puddles of water after a rain.
What is a narrative?
- A story
- A poem
- A song
- An essay
What is the purpose of narrative writing?
- To entertain or inform the reader
- To persuade the reader to agree with you
- To provide instructions on how to do something
What is a plot?
- The sequence of events that make up a story
- The author's perspective on an issue
- The main idea of an essay
What are some important elements in narrative writing?
- Characters, setting, conflict, and resolution
- Rhyme scheme and figurative language
- Thesis statement and supporting evidence
What is point-of-view in narrative writing?
- The perspective from which the story is told (first-person, third-person)
- The author's opinion about what happens in the story
- How long it takes for events to happen in the story