Simple Past Tense: A verb tense that indicates an action that has already been completed. Main events in a story Past Continuous Tense: describes an action that was ongoing at a specific time in the past. A long action and an interruption. Past Perfect Tense: used to describe an action that has already been completed before another action in the past. Past perfect continuous: used to describe an action that had been in progress before a moment in the past.
Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful princess who had long golden hair. She had been locked away in a tall tower by an evil sorcerer. One day, a brave prince rode his horse to the tower and climbed up to rescue her. When he reached the top, the princess was laughing with joy in her face.
Example: A Fairy Tale Extract Using Past Tenses
The past perfect form is used when referring to something that happened before another action in the past. It is formed with 'had' + past participle of the verb. Ex. I had gone, she had written, he had thought.
Past Perfect Form
The past continuous expresses an action that was ongoing at a specific point in the past It is formed using 'was/were' + ING. It is used to describe an ongoing action in the past, interrupted by a short action in the past.
Understanding the Past Continuous Tense
Which sentence uses past simple tense correctly?
- I walked to the store yesterday.
- I have been walking to the store yesterday.
- I was walking to the store yesterday.
Which sentence correctly uses past perfect tense?
- I was eating breakfast before I went to work.
- I ate breakfast before I went to work.
- I had eaten breakfast before I went to work.
Which of these sentences uses past perfect continuous tense correctly?
- John had slept for hours before his roommate woke him up.
- John had been sleeping for hours before his roommate woke him up.
- John was sleeping for hours before his roommate woke him up.
Which sentence uses past continuous tense correctly?
- She was studying for her exam when her phone rang.
- She studied for her exam when her phone was ringing.
- She studied for her exam when her phone rang.
Write some examples of when you would use the simple past, past perfect simple and continuous, and past continuous tenses in the some sentences.
Draw a pizza dreaming of being a superhero flying through the city