How do you feel today?
In a few words, what is Orange Shirt Day?
Orange Shirt Day: Reconciliation and Respect
Orange Shirt Day is a day to remember and honour Residential School survivors and their families. It also serves as a reminder of the importance of reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people. It's an opportunity for all of us to learn, reflect, and commit to the ongoing process of reconciliation.
Did you know?
Orange Shirt Day was created by Phyllis Webstad, a residential school survivor, who had her orange shirt taken away from her on her first day of residential school. The colour orange was chosen for Orange Shirt Day because it is vibrant and full of energy, and represents the vibrant and resilient spirit of Indigenous people. Orange Shirt Day is now celebrated in many countries around the world, including Canada, the United States, New Zealand, Australia, and Germany.
Why was the colour orange chosen for this day?
- Because it is a popular fashion trend among youths
- Because it symbolized peace and harmony
- Because it represents the color of Phyllis Webstad's shirt that was taken from her when she arrived at a residential school
Work together in pairs: What is the significance of Orange Shirt Day and why is it important to recognize and honour?
Work together in pairs: What is one action that you can take to show your support for Orange Shirt Day?
Brain break: Draw a goofy watermelon with wacky arms and legs, dancing on a beach towel
Why is Orange Shirt Day celebrated?
- To promote the color orange as a fashion trend
- To commemorate a famous orange-shirt-wearing activist
- To raise awareness about indigenous culture and history
When is Orange Shirt Day observed?
- September 30th
- October 31st
- November 1st
Who started Orange Shirt Day?
- Terry Fox
- Martin Luther King Jr.
- Phyllis Webstad
What does wearing an orange shirt on this day symbolize?
- Promoting environmental conservation
- Celebrating diversity and inclusion
- Supporting reconciliation and healing for residential school survivors
14. Personalised Feedback
What is the significance of Orange Shirt Day and why is it important in promoting awareness and understanding of the experiences of Indigenous peoples in Canada?
Next: Creating Orange Shirt
You will be given a small orange shirt cutout. On it write one action that you can take to show your support for Orange Shirt Day?