In one word, can you give me an example of a living thing?
What are the differences between eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells? How does photosynthesis convert light energy into chemical energy? What processes cause genetic variation in populations?
Research Questions for 9th Grade Biology
Aerobic Respiration: A type of respiration process which requires oxygen in order to produce energy. Cellular Structure: The composition and organization of cells, including their structure and the different types of molecules and organelles present in them. Taxonomy: The science of classifying organisms according to their characteristics and evolutionary relationships.
Biology research has found that the human body contains 10 times more bacterial cells than human cells. The human genome contains approximately 20,000 protein-coding genes, which is less than the 25,000 genes found in the fruit fly. The tardigrade, also known as the water bear, is a microscopic animal that is capable of surviving extreme environments including in space.
Did you know?
What are some of the different types of biology research questions you could explore?
What are some topics related to biology that interest you?
How can you use research questions to help guide your inquiry into a topic related to biology?
Brain break: Draw a pizza monster attacking a city made of food.
Question: What are some research questions you could create about CRISPR? Clues: • Think about diseases, organisms and their environment. • Look for connections between living things and their environment. • Consider how living things interact with one another. In pairs: Select and solve one of the tasks: A. Write up your research question and draw a diagram to illustrate it. B. Present your research question and diagram to your partner.
What is the research question of a study investigating the effects of caffeine on heart rate?
- Does caffeine intake increase heart rate in humans?
- What are the benefits of drinking coffee?
- How does exercise affect heart rate?
What is the research question of a study investigating the impact of soil type on plant growth?
- How does soil type affect plant growth?
- Can plants grow without soil?
- What is the ideal temperature for plant growth?
What is the research question for a study investigating patterns in bird migration behavior?
- Do birds migrate at different times each year?
- How do birds communicate while migrating?
- Why do some bird species not migrate at all?
In a study exploring photosynthesis, what might be an appropriate research question?
- Under what conditions do plants undergo photosynthesis most efficiently?
- Does light intensity affect leaf coloration in plants?
- How long does it take for plants to photosynthesize food from sunlight and water?
In an experiment examining antibiotic resistance, what would be an appropriate research question to ask?
- Which antibiotics are most effective against bacterial infections in humans and animals?
- Is it possible to create new antibiotics that are effective against resistant bacteria strains ?
- Can bacteria develop resistance to non-antibiotic medications over time ?
Work together in pairs: What is the difference between a hypothesis and a research question in biology?