In five to ten words, how can rumours hurt people?
"We are learning to learn the effects of rumours, gossip, and poor relationship maintenance."
In high school, rumors can lead to hurtful gossip and exclusion of peers. As an adult, rumors can cause damage to one's reputation and career. Being aware of the potential consequences can help avoid participating in rumors.
The Negative Impact of Rumors
Rumours: Unverified information that is spread by word of mouth. Detrimental Effect: Harmful consequences that can result from participating in or being exposed to something. High School and Adult Years: The period of life from middle school through adulthood, including the developmental stages called adolescence and adulthood.
Rumors can have a negative effect on our mental health. Studies have shown that rumors can lead to self-doubt, lack of self-confidence, and depression. Rumors can lead to strained relationships with those around us. Studies have found that rumors can lead to social isolation and even affect employment opportunities. Rumors can cause physical health problems. Research has shown that rumors can lead to stress, which can then lead to physical health issues such as headaches, stomachaches, and fatigue.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: Q: What is one way to maintain a healthy relationship in high school and as an adult to avoid the detrimental effects of rumours and gossip?
How can learning about the detrimental effect of rumors in high school help you navigate similar situations as an adult?
Work together in pairs: What is one lesson you learned about rumours from today's discussion?
Brain break: Draw a bird flying with a slice of pizza in its beak
What are rumours?
- Information that is kept secret by a few individuals
- Verified information spread among people
- Unverified information spread among people
What is the primary reason why rumors are spread?
- To provide helpful information
- To cause harm or damage to someone's reputation
- To gain attention from others
In high school, how can rumours affect an individual?
- It can lead to social exclusion and bullying
- It has no effect on an individual's social life
- It can improve an individual's social status
As an adult, what could be the consequences of spreading false rumours about someone?
- It could result in financial gains for the person who started or spread it.
- It could lead to legal action being taken against the person who spread the rumor.
- It could improve one's reputation in their circle.
How can individuals protect themselves from harmful rumors?
- By not participating in gossiping and spreading rumors
- By joining a group that promotes gossiping and spreading rumors
- By ignoring rumors when they hear them