How are you feeling today?
"identify and describe the texture, tone colour and articulation in the finale from Shostakovich Symphony 5"
Texture: how sounds are combined, and how they interact and function in a piece of music Tone Colour: the characteristic quality of sound sources and their combinations (also known as timbre) Articulation: refers to how specific notes or passages are played or sung
Identifying Texture, Tone Colour and Articulation
• layers of sound • dense, sparse • voicing • layering of instruments, tracks and sound combinations • changes in the number of layers and how they interact
• multi-track sequencing • the roles of instruments and voices, e.g. melody and accompaniment • the interaction of the layers of sound • monophony, heterophony, homophony, polyphony, counterpoint, canon
• sound production methods, including the use of tone shaping audio FX instrumental and vocal techniques and devices • vocal and instrumental sound sources • various combinations and ensemble types • choice of source material including electronically generated sounds and sample selection
• commonly used directions indicating vocal and instrumental techniques • register and range of voices/instruments • transposing instruments • orchestras and instrumental ensembles • choirs and vocal ensembles
• accent • staccato • marcato • tenuto • spiccato • slap bass • offset and onset • selection of mallets, stroke patterns, handshapes
• legato • phrasing • slur • pizzicato • plucking, bowing, strumming techniques • touch and fingering
What words would you use to describe the textures in this extract?
What words would you use to describe the tone colours in this extract?
What words would you use to describe the articulations in this extract?