Name two Musical Elements!
Musical Elements: It's All About the Music!
Rhythm: musical patterns of strong and weak beats Melody: a series of notes and tones that create a tune Harmony: sounds blended together to create a pleasing or interesting effect
Did you know?
The term 'tempo' comes from an Italian word meaning 'time' and is used to describe the speed of a piece of music. The term 'meter' is used to describe the rhythmic pattern of a piece of music. The term 'dynamics' refers to the volume or intensity of a piece of music.
What are some of the different elements of music that you have learned about in your music classes?
What are some songs that you know of that use a combination of different musical elements?
How does each element of music contribute to the overall sound of the song?
What techniques have you used to help you remember the different musical elements?
Brain break: Draw a giraffe playing the drums while wearing a bowtie
In pairs: Select one task
Question: How can you identify musical elements?
Listen for the melody and rhythm of a song. Look for patterns and structure. Note the instruments used.
A: Pair up with someone and create a drawing that explains how musical elements work together. B: Write a rap that incorporates different musical elements.
What is melody in music?
- The loudness and softness of music
- The main tune or the most memorable part of a song
- The beat or rhythm of a song
What is rhythm in music?
- The speed at which a piece of music is played
- The beat or pattern of sounds in a piece of music
- The sequence of notes played in a song
What is harmony in music?
- An instrument used to keep time during performances
- When two or more notes are played together to create chords and support the melody
- A repeated section within a musical composition
What is tempo in music?
- The speed at which a piece of music is performed
- A technique used to play multiple notes simultaneously on a guitar
- A high-pitched sound produced by an instrument
What is dynamics in music?
- A style or genre classification for different types of songs
- An element that describes how long each note should be held
- The loudness and softness of the sound produced while playing an instrument or singing
Work together in pairs: Q: Name three musical elements and explain how they work together to create music.