Describe the word 'context' in a few words.
The meaning of words is often affected by the context in which they are used. Context can include the words surrounding it, the topic being discussed, and the writer's intent. Learning to identify and recognize context can help 12th grade students read and interpret texts more effectively.
Understanding Words in Context
Context: A set of words or ideas that provide meaning to other words or ideas. Synonyms: Words with the same meaning. Antonyms: Words with opposite meanings.
Brain break: Draw a three-eyed monster munching on a slice of pizza!
What is the meaning of the word 'eclectic' in the sentence: Her eclectic style of dressing always turns heads?
- deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources
- fashionable or trendy
- unconventional and non-traditional
What is the meaning of the word 'ennui' in this sentence: His ennui was evident as he looked out at the rain.
- a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement
- a deep feeling of love and affection
- a strong feeling that something bad is going to happen
What is an antonym for 'diligent'?
In which sentence below does 'meticulous' best exemplify its meaning?
- She meticulously planned every detail for her wedding day.
- The teacher meticulously passed out papers.
- He meticulously cleaned up his room before his friends arrived.
Which word below means 'the ability to speak fluently and coherently'?
Work together in pairs: What strategies can you use to determine the meaning of an unfamiliar word when it appears in a text?