What are some of the most common cinematic techniques used in films?
You can use the DAR method to write about film techniques Describe Analyse Response
Analysing Film Techniques
Hehir uses a long shot showing Michael Jordan's car stopping on the road (DESCRIBE). In the shot, Jordan's arm hangs out the window to sign an autograph for a young fan, showing that he is a role model who takes time to give back to his fans (ANALYSE). As a result of Hehir's choice to include this shot, Jordan appears more likeable, friendly and wins the heart of viewers watching The Last Dance (RESPONSE).
Example of DAR:
Choose a technique from one of the documentaries and write about it using DAR
Hehir's long shot of Michael Jordan stopping to sign an autograph for a young fan reveals that he is a positive role model and makes viewers sympathetic towards him.
Condense the DAR Method
Write about your technique again, but this time condensed your response
Brain break: Draw a frog princess in a crown and ball gown holding a magic wand
What is a close-up shot?
- A shot of a landscape or cityscape from above
- A shot that shows the subject's face in detail
- A shot that shows the subject from head to toe
'Diegetic sound' refers to sounds that:
- Are added during post-production to enhance mood
- Are created by special effects teams
- Come from within the world of the film, such as dialogue and sound effects
What is mise-en-scène?
- The process by which films are edited
- The use of lighting and shadows to create mood
- The arrangement of actors and scenery within a frame