In your opinion, what is the best thing about writing?
Opinion writing is when you form an argument, or opinion, about a topic and support it with evidence. When forming your opinion, you should present evidence to back up your claims. When writing your opinion piece, make sure to use clear and concise language.
Opinion Writing: What is it and how to do it!
argument: A set of statements that express a conclusion based on evidence or reasoning. opinion: A belief, judgement or way of thinking about something. evidence: Information used to support a claim or conclude an argument.
The opinion section of newspapers is one of the most widely read sections! Opinion writing is an important tool for people to have their voices heard. The Declaration of Independence is an example of an opinion piece!
Work together in pairs: What is one thing you learned about writing an opinion piece today?
Work together in pairs: What did you learn about writing an opinion piece?
Brain break: Create a drawing of a superhero with 3 unique powers!
Each student must come up with a different superhero with 3 unique powers. They must draw the superhero in action using their powers. The drawing must include each of the 3 unique powers, as well as any other details they would like to include.
What is opinion writing?
- A type of writing that expresses an opinion based on facts and evidence.
- A type of writing that expresses an opinion without facts or evidence.
- A type of writing that expresses facts and evidence without an opinion.
- A type of writing that expresses facts and evidence with an opinion.
Which of the following is an example of opinion writing?
- The sky is blue.
- I think the sky is blue.
- The sky is green.
- I think the sky is green.
When writing an opinion, which of the following should be included?
- A personal opinion.
- Evidence and facts to support the opinion.
- Other people's opinions.
- An opposing opinion.
What is the purpose of opinion writing?
- To inform and educate the audience.
- To persuade the audience.
- To entertain the audience.
- To express an opinion.
Which of the following is NOT a part of opinion writing?
- Making an argument.
- Using evidence to support an opinion.
- Facts and figures.