What comes to mind when you hear the words "author's purpose and perspective"?
"ELA.6.R.2.3: Analyze authors’ purpose(s) in multiple accounts of the same event or topic"
Authors have a purpose when writing, which can be to inform, persuade, or entertain readers. Determining the author's purpose can help readers better understand and interpret the text. As a reader, it's important to recognize an author's purpose to fully appreciate the text.
What is the Author's Purpose?
The authors purpose is the reason an author has for writing a text. It could be to inform, persuade, or entertain the reader. An author's purpose can be determined by looking at the tone and style of the text and the type of information included. Understanding the author's purpose can help the reader understand the text better and make connections between the text and their own life.
What evidence can you find in the text that helps you understand the author's purpose?
The purpose of an author is not just to entertain, but to educate and inform readers about a certain topic or issue. Authors often create characters to represent themselves and their beliefs in their writing. Some authors even use symbolism to portray their message in their writing.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: What is one way an author can use multiple accounts of the same event or topic to help convey their purpose?
What do you think was the author's purpose in writing this story?
What is the primary purpose of an author when writing a persuasive text?
- To convince or persuade the reader
- To inform the reader
- To entertain the reader
When an author writes to inform, what is their main goal?
- To express personal thoughts and feelings
- To entertain the reader
- To educate or provide information to the reader
Which of the following best describes an author's purpose when writing a fictional story?
- To present arguments and support claims
- To entertain the reader with a made-up narrative
- To educate or provide factual information
What is an author's primary purpose when writing a news article?
- To inform readers about current events and facts
- To express personal opinions and viewpoints
- To create fictional stories for entertainment purposes
Which of these would be considered an example of an author's purpose to persuade?
- A newspaper article reporting on recent scientific discoveries
- A poem expressing emotions and feelings
- An advertisement trying to convince people to buy a product
A curipod slide
Provide regular and timely feedback on student progress to help them see their strengths and areas for improvement.
What is the author's purpose in writing this account?
How has understanding the author's purpose changed your understanding of the text?