How would you describe essay writing?
W6.1 Support claim(s) with clear
reasons and relevant evidence, using credible sources and
demonstrating an understanding of the topic or text.
Essay writing helps you express your thoughts and opinions on a topic. It requires you to identify, research, and organize information. It helps you practice and develop your writing skills.
Essay Writing for 6th Grade Students
Topic: The topic is the subject of the essay. It should be broad enough to allow for a comprehensive analysis of the issue, but specific enough to focus the essay. Thesis Statement: The thesis statement is the main point or argument you are trying to make in the essay. It should be clear and specific. Supporting Evidence: Supporting evidence is the evidence used to back up your thesis statement. Examples, statistics, facts, and research are all appropriate forms of supporting evidence.
The average person can write up to 500 words in 30 minutes when writing an essay. Different essay formats require different types of writing and organization.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: What is one way that you can use credible evidence to support a claim in an essay?
Work together in pairs: What is the most important part of writing an essay?
Brain break: Draw a chicken with a bow tie singing karaoke!
What is the purpose of an introduction in an essay?
- To grab the reader's attention and provide background information
- To summarize the main points of the essay
- To give a personal opinion about the topic
What is a thesis statement?
- A sentence that summarizes the main point or argument of an essay
- A quote from a famous author about the topic of your essay
- The conclusion paragraph of your essay
What are some common types of essays?
- Narrative, persuasive, expository
- Explanatory, comparative, analytical
- Biographical, descriptive, observational
What should be included in a conclusion paragraph?
- Restate thesis statement and summarize main points
- Provide new information not mentioned before
- Introduce a new topic
Why is it important to proofread your essay?
- To correct spelling and grammar errors
- To ensure that your ideas are presented clearly and logically
- Because teachers will deduct points for mistakes
A paragraph is a group of related sentences that develop a single main idea. Each paragraph should start with a topic sentence that introduces the main idea. A paragraph should include supporting sentences that provide evidence, explain, and describe the main idea.
Question: You are a teacher and one of your 6th grade students has asked you to help them write a paragraph. How would you help them? Clues: • Help the student understand the purpose of the paragraph. • Provide helpful tips for organizing the paragraph. • Encourage the student to use concrete details for support. In pairs: Select and solve one of the tasks: A. Work in pairs to explain your solution through a drawing. B. Put yourselves in the shoes of the student and explain how you would help them write a paragraph.