Add any words you know that connect to the Hoare-Laval Pact?
The Hoare-Laval Pact was a proposed agreement between Great Britain and France in 1935. The pact would have allowed Italy to keep some of the territories it had taken in the invasion of Abyssinia (2/3 of Abyssinia) Laval wanted to present the plan to Mussolini before showing it to the League. Laval told the British that if they did not agree to the pact, the French would no longer support the sanctions against Italy.
What was the H/L Pact?
Details of the Pact were leaked to the French press. The H/L pact was seen as treachery against the league and both Hoare and Laval are fired. The H/L Pact drama meant that Italy sanction discussions were slowed. In Feb 1936 the committee concluded that placing sanctions on oil would mean Italian supplies would be exhausted within 2 months - but it was too late as Mussolini had already overtaken large parts of Abyssinia. Sick of Britain and France mucking around, America blocked a move to support the league sanctions on Italy and actually began supplying Italy with even more oil.
Write a three-sentence summary of the H/L Pact?
What were the consequences/outcomes of the Hoare-Laval Pact?
Draw an image which represents what happened with the H/L Pact?
When was the Hoare-Laval Pact created?
Which two countries were involved in the Hoare-Laval Pact?
- France and Britain
- Germany and France
- Italy and Britain
- Germany and Italy
What was the purpose of the Hoare-Laval pact?
- To end a border dispute between Abyssinia (Ethiopia) and Italian Somaliland.
- To establish a trade agreement between France and Britain.
- To create a non-aggression pact between Germany and Russia.
- To form an alliance between Italy, Japan, and Germany.
What was one of the key provisions of the Hoare-Laval Pact that made it controversial?
- It would have allowed Italy to keep control over some areas of Abyssinia (Ethiopia).
- It would have required Britain to give up control over India.
- It would have required France to give up control over Algeria.
- It would have required Germany to give up control over Austria.
Why did public opinion turn against the Hoare-Laval Pact?
- Because it appeared to reward aggression by allowing Italy to keep some of its conquests in Abyssinia.
- Because it threatened British interests in Africa.
- Because it threatened French interests in North Africa.
- Because it appeared too favorable towards Germany.