In a few words, describe how you feel when you are overwhelmed?
Focus on your breathing and practice mindfulness. Identify what triggers your emotions and take steps to avoid them. Understand your emotional responses and learn to express them in healthy ways.
Controlling Your Emotion
Self-Awareness: The ability to recognize and understand one's own emotions and thoughts and how they influence behavior. Stress Management: The ability to recognize and manage stressors in order to remain calm and in control of one’s emotions. Emotional Regulation: The ability to recognize, understand, and manage one’s emotions in order to achieve desired outcomes.
The emotion center of the brain is called the amygdala, and it processes information faster than the logic center of the brain, called the prefrontal cortex. When we practice mindful meditation, we can learn to recognize our emotions and respond to them in a healthy way. Scientists have linked specific emotions to particular colors. For example, blue is associated with trust and security.
Did you know?
What are some ways to recognize when you are feeling an emotion?
What strategies can you use to manage strong emotions?
When have you been able to successfully control your emotions in the past?
When have you struggled to control your emotions in the past?
Brain break: Draw a suspicious-looking banana peeking through a spyglass
Question: How can you control your emotions? Clues: • Focus on your breathing and take a few moments to pause before you respond. • Acknowledge and accept your feelings without judgment. • Identify the triggers that cause your emotions and find ways to manage them. In pairs: Select and solve one of the tasks: A. With a partner, come up with a plan for how to manage your emotions when you find yourself in a difficult situation. B. Draw a picture to explain your solution to the problem.
What is mindfulness and how can it help you control your emotions?
- Mindfulness is the practice of being fully present and aware of your thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It can help you control your emotions by allowing you to observe them without judgment or reaction.
- Mindfulness is a form of meditation that involves clearing your mind of all thoughts. It can help you control your emotions by making you more relaxed.
- Mindfulness is a type of therapy that helps people deal with their emotions. It can help you control your emotions by providing coping mechanisms.
What are some physical techniques for controlling strong emotions?
- Crying it out, punching something soft like a pillow or stuffed animal, screaming into a pillow
- Deep breathing, taking a walk or run, doing yoga or another form of exercise
Why is it important to label our feelings when trying to control our emotions?
- Labeling our feelings helps us become more aware of them so we can better manage them.
- Labeling our feelings actually makes us feel worse.
- Labeling our feelings has no impact on controlling our emotions.
How does talking about our problems with someone we trust help us manage our emotional responses?
- Talking about problems distracts us from dealing with the actual issue at hand.
- Talking about problems releases pent-up emotion which instantly makes us feel better.
- Talking about problems with someone we trust can offer perspective on the situation and lead to better problem-solving.
What are some ways that practicing self-compassion might help individuals learn how to regulate their strong emotional responses?
- Self-compassion is an ineffective technique for controlling emotions.
- Self-compassion is a form of self-pity and only leads to self-indulgence and laziness.
- Self-compassion means treating yourself kindly even when things go wrong which leads individuals who practice it to be less critical on themselves. This ability allows them not only overcome negative events but also respond positively in stressful situations.
Work together in pairs: Q: What strategies can you use to help you stay in control of your emotions?