What is Imperialism?
- A system of government ruled by an emperor
- A policy of extending a country's power and influence through diplomacy or military force
- A type of economic system characterized by private ownership of capital
- A term used to describe a country that is highly industrialized
What is an example of Imperialism?
- The colonization of India by the British Empire
- The annexation of Hawaii by the United States
- The invasion of Iraq by the United States
- The occupation of Germany by the Soviet Union
What were some of the motivations for Imperialism?
- Economic gain and resources
- The spread of Christianity
- Political domination
- Cultural exchange
What were some of the consequences of Imperialism?
- The spread of disease
- The exploitation of resources
- The loss of cultural and political identity
- The creation of new trade routes
Who is an important figure associated with Imperialism?
- Winston Churchill
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Vladimir Lenin
- Cecil Rhodes