Pages 80 -81,126
Futures 2 Unit 8
● Developing critical thinking skills through brainstorming and speaking about who we can help and how. ● Identifying the vocabulary items used for world problems. ● Building listening and speaking skills in discussion about responsibility.
In one word, describe a positive change you can make in the world?
Take care of the environment. Reduce waste, reuse, recycle. Be kind to others and be a good role model. Volunteer your time to help those in need.
Making the World a Better Place
Volunteering: Giving your time to help other people or a cause, without payment or recognition. Education: The process of teaching and learning, especially in a school, college, or university. Environmental Protection: The act of preserving, guarding, or protecting the environment from pollution, destruction, or neglect.
What are some ways we can help people in our community? Think of situations when people need a helping hand.
Is it important to help? Is it wrong NOT to help?
What are some of the challenges we may face when trying to make the world a better place?
Brain break: Draw a dinosaur playing soccer with a miniature umbrella as the ball
Question: How can we make the world a better place? Clues: • Think about what other people need and how to help them. • Seek out ways to reduce your ecological footprint. • Look for ways to support marginalized communities. In pairs: Select and solve one of the tasks: A. Brainstorm ideas for how you and your partner can help make the world a better place. B. Create a visual representation of your ideas for how the world can be improved.
What is the name of the international agreement aimed at combating climate change?
- Montreal Protocol
- Kyoto Protocol
- Paris Agreement
What can we do to promote peace in our communities?
- Engage in violent conflicts
- Respect others' opinions and beliefs
- Spread rumors and lies about others
How can we help those who are less fortunate than us?
- Donate time or money to charities that support those in need
- Ignore the issue because it's not our problem
- Make fun of them for being poor or struggling
Work together in pairs: What are three things that you can do on a daily basis to make the world a better place?