Did you know?
Most employers review a job candidate's social media profiles before deciding on hiring them. Almost 40% of employers will ask job applicants to take a personality test. The average job interview lasts for 40 minutes.
What would you do if you feel nervous during the interview?
What would be the best strategy for you to answer a difficult question in the interview?
What skills do you think are important for an effective job interview?
What can you do to prepare for the mock interview?
Brain break: Draw a goofy monster with three eyes, two noses, and large curly antennae sticking out of its head.
In pairs: Select one task
Question: You are a High School student preparing for an English job interview. What can you do to help you prepare?
Research the company and the job you're applying for. Practice speaking in English with a friend or family member. Write your answers to potential interview questions ahead of time.
A: Create a plan for preparing for the job interview. B: Write a practice job interview script with a partner.
What is the purpose of a job interview?
- To assess the candidate's qualifications and suitability for a position
- To provide an opportunity for small talk
- To negotiate salary and benefits
Which of the following is NOT a common job interview question?
- Why do you want to work for this company?
- Tell me about yourself.
- What is your favorite color?
What should you do to prepare for a job interview?
- Bring your friends along
- Research the company
- Dress casually
Why is it important to ask questions during a job interview?
- To take control of the conversation
- To make it seem like you know everything already
- To show interest in the role and company
Job Interview Tips for Students
Common Qs: Know what questions are commonly asked & practice your answers. Answers: Show enthusiasm & be prepared to explain why you're the best fit. Tips: Present yourself professionally & practice with a friend.
How should you answer the question 'Tell me about yourself' in a job interview?
- Talk about your hobbies and personal interests.
- Briefly summarize your education, work experience, and skills that are relevant to the position.
- Ask why they want to know.
Did you know?
The average person spends around 10 minutes answering an interview question. One of the most common questions asked in job interviews is 'What are your strengths and weaknesses?' When answering a job interview question, it's important to take your time and think before you answer. This will help you to give a more confident and accurate response.
Brain break: Draw a lemon doing a handstand with googly eyes.
In pairs: Select one task
Question: What common job interview questions, answers and tips should high school job seekers be aware of?
Research what types of questions you may be asked during an interview. Come prepared with examples that demonstrate your skills, accomplishments and experience. Highlight your unique qualities that make you stand out from other applicants.
A: Work in pairs to come up with 3 common job interview questions and 3 tips for a successful answer. B: Explain your solution through a drawing and present it to the class.
Tell me about yourself. How would you answer this question in a job interview?
- I would start by giving a brief overview of my background, mentioning my education, any relevant work experience, and highlighting key skills that make me a strong candidate for the position.
- I would talk about my hobbies and interests outside of work or school.
- I would discuss personal matters like family or relationships.
What are your strengths? How would you answer this question in a job interview?
- I would mention specific skills or qualities that are relevant to the job I am applying for, such as being organized and detail-oriented.
- I would say that I don't have any strengths.
- I would make up something just to impress the interviewer.
What is your greatest weakness? How should you approach answering this question in a job interview?
- I should avoid answering this question.
- I should mention an area where I have identified room for improvement but also explain steps I am taking to overcome it.
- I should be honest and tell the interviewer all my weaknesses.
Why do you want to work for our company? How could you respond to this question in a job interview?
- Researching the company beforehand and mentioning specific aspects that attract me, such as its mission or values.
- Saying that I just need money and any company will do.
- Praising other companies instead of focusing on theirs.
Do you have any questions for us? What is an appropriate way to handle this question during a job interview?
- Preparing some thoughtful questions about the role, company culture, or career development opportunities within the organization.
- Saying 'No' because asking questions may give off an impression of being too curious.
- Asking irrelevant questions about personal life instead of focusing on professional matters.
What have you learned from this lesson about how to prepare for a job interview in English?
Tell me about yourself.
"My name is [Your Name], and I am a high school student with a passion for [mention your interests or strengths]. I have been involved in various extracurricular activities, such as [mention activities], which have helped me develop skills like [mention skills]."
Why are you interested in this job?
"I am interested in this job because it aligns with my career goals and allows me to utilize my [mention relevant skills or interests]. Additionally, I believe this job would provide me with valuable experience and an opportunity to grow professionally."
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
(Strengths): "I believe my strengths lie in my ability to [mention a skill or trait], as well as my strong [mention another skill]. I am also a good problem-solver and enjoy working in a team." (Weaknesses): "One weakness I have identified is my tendency to be a perfectionist, which sometimes leads me to spend more time on a task than necessary. However, I am actively working on time management to ensure efficiency."
How do you handle stress or pressure?
"When faced with stress or pressure, I try to prioritize tasks, create a schedule, and break down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts. Additionally, I find that taking short breaks and practicing stress-relief techniques, such as deep breathing or exercise, helps me stay focused and calm."
Remember, the key to a successful interview is preparation and confidence. Good luck with your mock job interview!