A fragment sentence is an incomplete sentence that lacks a subject or verb. Fragment sentences can be used to add emphasis or create a dramatic effect. 9th grade students should learn to identify and use fragment sentences correctly.
A fragment sentence is an incomplete sentence that lacks a subject, verb, or does not express a complete thought. Fragment sentences can be fixed by adding a subject, verb, and making sure the sentence expresses a complete thought. Fragment sentences can also be corrected by combining them with another sentence to form a complete sentence.
Fragments can be used as a form of literary expression to evoke emotion. Fragment sentences can be used to draw attention to a particular point or idea. Fragment sentences can be used to create rhythm and flow in a piece of writing.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: What is the difference between a fragment sentence and a complete sentence?
How can you fix a fragment sentence to make it a complete sentence?
Work together in pairs: What is one example of a fragment sentence?
Because of the rain
Fix the following fragment sentence.
Brain break: Draw a flying super Dog with a cape
What is a fragment sentence?
- A sentence that lacks a subject or verb
- A sentence with too many commas
- A sentence that is too long
What is a figurative language or give an example? (answer in a few words)
Which of the following examples is a fragment?
- I enjoy walking to school on a rainy day.
- The rain was falling heavily when I walked to school.
- Walking to school on a rainy day.
What can be added to a fragment sentence to make it complete?
- Pronoun, Preposition
- Subject, Verb
- Adjective, Adverb
Is 'Walking in the park on a sunny day.' a fragment or complete sentence?
Which of the following is a complete sentence?
- Excited about my birthday.
- Running down the street.
- I am going to the store.
Is 'The cat sat on the mat.' a fragment or complete sentence?
Is 'Because I'm tired and it's getting late.' a fragment or complete sentence?
Is 'She laughed loudly at his joke.' a fragment or complete sentence?
Which of the following is a fragment sentence?
- Because I love you.
- Ate breakfast before work.
- The dog barked at the mailman.
Which of the following sentences is NOT a fragment?
- The cat sat on the mat.
- Jumped over the fence.
- When she arrived at work.
Why should writers avoid using fragments in their writing?
- Fragments are easier for readers to understand.
- Fragments are more interesting than complete sentences.
- Fragments are incomplete thoughts and can confuse readers.