What is a topic sentence? (answer in a few words)
A topic sentence is the main idea of a paragraph that tells the reader what the paragraph will be about. It is a statement that expresses the main point that the paragraph is trying to make. It is usually the first sentence of a paragraph and helps the reader to understand the main idea.
What is a Topic Sentence?
Topic sentences help guide readers through a text and provide a structure for the information. The topic sentence is the most important sentence in a paragraph because it tells the reader the main idea of the paragraph.
Work together in pairs: What is the purpose of a topic sentence in a paragraph?
Work together in pairs: What is the purpose of a thesis statement in an essay?
What is a topic sentence?
- A sentence that introduces the main idea of a paragraph.
- A sentence that summarizes the main point of a paragraph.
- A sentence that provides additional information about the paragraph.
- A sentence that starts the paragraph.
What should a topic sentence do?
- Provide structure for the paragraph.
- Introduce the main idea of the paragraph.
- Summarize the paragraph.
- Start the paragraph.
What is the most important part of a topic sentence?
- The main idea.
- The supporting details.
- The conclusion.
- The structure.
How long should a topic sentence be?
- One sentence.
- Two sentences.
- Three sentences.
- As long as it needs to be.
What should the topic sentence of a paragraph include?
- A main idea.
- Supporting details.
- A conclusion.
- All of the above.
Brain break: Draw a spaghetti monster!