What is sexting?
- A communication between two people through text messages.
- A way to send pictures of yourself to another person.
- A way to share private information online.
- A way to send videos of yourself to another person.
Know the law: Sexting is illegal for minors and can result in serious consequences. Be aware of your digital footprint: Anything shared online can be seen by anyone. If you receive an inappropriate message, tell an adult and report it to the proper authorities.
Internet Safety and Sexting for Minors
Should minors be held legally responsible for engaging in sexting, even if they are unaware of the potential risks to their online safety?
In one or two words, describe the consequences of sexting as a minor?
In the US, it is illegal for a minor to take and share explicit photos of themselves. In some states, sending and receiving explicit images between minors can be considered a crime. In many states, those convicted of sexting can be required to register as a sex offender - even as a minor.
Did you know?
What are the potential risks of sexting for minors?
What strategies can you use to protect yourself when using the internet?
What steps do you take to ensure you are making responsible and safe decisions when using the internet?
What is the most important rule to follow when it comes to internet safety?
- Always speak to strangers online.
- Do not share personal information with anyone online.
- Share photos and videos with anyone you meet online.
- Always be aware of what you post online.
What should you do if someone tries to sext you online?
- Ignore the message and block the person.
- Send a picture of yourself.
- Tell your friends about it.
- Send a video of yourself.
What is the best way to protect your online privacy?
- Create a strong password and use two-factor authentication.
- Share your passwords with your friends.
- Post your personal information on social media.
- Download unverified software from the internet.
Which of the following is NOT a way to protect yourself from sexting?
- Be aware of who you are talking to online.
- Send a picture of yourself to strangers.
- Ignore messages from unknown people.
- Share personal information with strangers.
Work together in pairs: What are two ways to protect yourself from the potential dangers of sexting?