What is the most important rule in the classroom?
"Respectful to others
Treat others how you want to be treated
Follow directions the first time they are given
Do not talk over each other
Only touch your materials
Be respectful to your teachers and classmates. Listen and follow directions given by your teacher. Be responsible for your own learning and work.
Respect: Showing consideration and admiration for someone or something. Respectful behavior includes being polite and kind to others. Effort: Putting in the necessary hard work to complete tasks. Working hard and striving for excellence in all that you do. Participation: Taking an active role in class activities by asking questions, participating in discussions, and volunteering for assignments.
The average student spends 1,000 hours per school year in the classroom. Classroom sizes can have an effect on student performance. A study in 2018 found that student performance improved when classroom sizes were reduced. Under the right conditions, students can learn to think more creatively in a classroom setting.
Did you know?
Work together in pairs: What are two specific ways you can show respect to your classmates in the classroom?
Work together in pairs: What are two expectations you have for yourself as a student in this classroom?
Brain break: Draw a happy pencil with boxing gloves waving at you from the paper
What is the expected volume level during class work?
- Depends on the day
What should you do if you are finished with your work before others?
- Read a book or do quiet work until everyone is done
- Ask to go play outside
- Ask for more work from the teacher
- Talk to your friends and distract them
When is it okay to interrupt the teacher during class?
- When it's an emergency like needing to use the restroom or feeling sick
- When you don't understand something important
- When you have a funny joke to share with everyone
- When something happens in your favorite TV show that you want to tell someone about
Why should we respect our classmates' personal space?
- To make sure that they feel comfortable and safe
- To make them feel uncomfortable
- To annoy them
- To be cool in front of others
What should we do when someone else makes a mistake?
- Be kind and help them learn from their mistakes
- Laugh at them
- Ignore their mistake and move on
- Be rude and criticize them for making mistakes