In a few words, what do you think are important classroom expectations?
Be on time and prepared for class. Late arrivals are disruptive and disrespectful. Be respectful to everyone in the classroom. Listen to the teacher and other students. Be an active participant. Take notes, ask questions, and share your ideas.
Respect: Showing regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others. Responsibility: Doing the right thing even when no one is watching. Preparedness: Being ready to learn by having the materials and knowledge necessary for success.
Schools have been using the same basic classroom layout since the 19th century. In the United States, the average student spends 1,000 hours in the classroom each year. In some countries, students are expected to bow to the teacher when entering the classroom.
Did you know?
What do you think are the most important classroom expectations?
How do you think classroom expectations help create a safe and respectful learning environment?
What are some expectations you think are important to help you be successful in the classroom?
How can you help create an atmosphere of respect and safety in the classroom?
Brain break: Draw a squirrel eating a gigantic peanut butter sandwich
Which of the following is an example of good classroom behavior?
- Raising your hand before speaking
- Talking loudly to your friends during a lesson
- Not completing your homework
What is a common expectation regarding arriving to class on time?
- Entering the classroom whenever you want
- Being seated and ready to learn when the bell rings
- Leaving class early without permission
Why is it important to actively listen in the classroom?
- To understand and remember information
- To distract other students
- To interrupt the teacher
What can you do if you have a question or need help in class?
- Raise your hand and ask for assistance
- Keep quiet and figure it out on your own
- Speak out of turn and interrupt the teacher
What should you do with electronic devices during class time?
- Share them with classmates
- Use them openly for entertainment
- Put them away unless allowed by the teacher
Open question: What is the most important responsibility of a student to ensure a successful school year?